We went for a drive down to the lake and I decided to bring my camera with me and had a chance to capture the evening sky as the sun was drawing closer to the horizon. I was impressed with the cerulean and silver colors and the way the light was reflecting off the clouds. When I went to my easel with the composition I decided that it needed a little more color than the photo was showing so I added a little pink and lavender to the sky as well. I think that it’s an improvement. I also enlivened the colors on the ground and simplified the composition so the ground wouldn’t compete with the sky for the viewer’s attention. The original photo didn’t come close to capturing the beauty of the scene so I relied on memory to depict that, not sure how close I came but it was a good effort I hope. Perhaps the dark blue of the sky is showing more in the picture of the painting than it actually does in the painting itself, but aside from that I really don’t have any issues with the colors of the photo. I also used some of those lovely pinks in the Ludwig Vibrant set. I also wanted the picture to be fairly abstracted compared to my usual detail in the hope of conveying the simple beauty of the scene. Perhaps I should have put a little of the green from the land into the bottoms of the clouds and I should have broken the tree line up a bit but other than that I happy with this one.
I actually did this painting back in June but forgot about it until I was going through the pictures on my hard drive. This is a smaller study from a photo of the English Countryside featuring hawthorn trees in full bloom. I thought it was a departure from my usual colors and themes and gave me the opportunity to use a few of those pretty pinks in my Ludwig Vibrants pastel set. I also used a little more green than I have been recently and thought it was fun to pick up those spring greens again. We used to carry hawthorn trees at the nursery I used to work at but stopped carrying them since they always had problems. I guess they aren’t plagued by insects and disease in the UK or at least these ones weren’t when the picture was taken. I used my usual Terry Ludwig, Unison and Girault combination of Uart paper.